Tuesday, August 25, 2020

The Failure

The Failure
A God beam momentarily broke through a mass of dark clouds as two figures strode quickly across the promenade, hoping to escape the impending downpour. Suddenly, the God beam vanished and the skies emptied a deluge of rain before the old Professor and his young student could duck safely into the ornately colonnaded Building of Medicine located in the middle of campus.
The old Professor, fairly drenched, shook his head and proclaimed, “My, it is wet out there.” He then wiped down his flowing raiment with a sweep or two of his leathery hand.
The young student, also dripping wet, nodded. The old Professor then said, “I believe it’s time we get down to business.”
The old Professor directed his young student to sit down. “You do understand, I hope, that it will be not be possible to permit you to practice medicine in this community because of - ”
The young student cut him off. “Master, yes, I realize that I failed the final examination, but I place no relevance on that misleading, indeed, foolish, test. It does not reveal my talents nor does it demonstrate my skills and knowledge in the field of medicine.” 
The young student relaxed a bit in his chair, visibly relieved he had finally spoken out about this affair. “You are aware, Master,” he continued, “We have, uh, how shall I say it, quite a different - ”
This time, the old Professor cut his young student off. “Yes, quite a different perspective on the philosophy and practice of medicine, I daresay.” Now, the old Professor was growing impatient. After all, he was only doing his job, which was to uphold the integrity of the institution. His words turned sharp and uncompromising. “I care not of your philosophy. I know what I know and what the higher forces of reason tell me, that you failed your examination!” 
The young student stared blankly as the old Professor continued, now in a more calm and conciliatory tone. “Surely, you understand that this institution cannot permit you to hold a medical license with such views. My good boy, what would the citizens of our community think?”
The young student could feel his emotions flare up, but he held his temper in check. “Master, I failed your test for one simple reason: because I dared to think for myself.”
The old Professor waved a hand and scoffed. “Think for yourself! Bah! Have you learned nothing, nothing at all?”
The young student began to feel emboldened, like he was holding the upper hand, and said, “Master, respectfully, if I may - ”
“If you may, what?” retorted the old Professor. “Defy our hallowed theories of medicine?” 
The young student could take no more of the old Professor’s drivel and began to shed his respectful tone for one slightly more blasphemous. “Master, clearly superstition rules your mind. For me, I believe only in facts.”
The young student rose and pointed a finger at his elder. “I failed your test because I answered the first question with truth and facts: that diseases have natural causes. Do you hear me! Natural causes! And I suggested that treatment of all diseases should be - ”
Here the old Professor, clearly shaken, dropped his white bearded head into his hands and sighed, “Yes, yes, taken out of the hands of religion, you wrote.” He remained silent for a few tense seconds, then looked up at the young student with a firm conviction. “We are finished here. I have no more time. I will grant you permission to retake the examination in the next cycle. If you pass the test on your final try, the Institution of Medicine will issue you a license.”
The young student pursed his lips and did not speak for a solid minute. Then, collecting his words carefully, he said, “Master, “I am a modest man. Life is short and art is long, the occasion fleeting, experience fallacious, and judgment difficult, but mark my words, pass or no pass, I will practice medicine in this community and be the best doctor of anyone. You shall see!”
And with that, the young student named Hippocrates stormed out of the Athens Building of Medicine just as the rain stopped falling and God beams poked through the clouds to reveal the arc of a glorious rainbow across the sky.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home